The Lord gave me a holy smack-down, or should I say a gentle tapping really, about my not being thankful. It started with a sermon I heard on XM about what we had to be thankful for. The preacher said that if we are able to see, then we are more fortunate than ___% amount of the population. (he gave a percentage but I can’t remember the numbers) He listed other categories such as:
- Able to hear
- Able to walk
- Have some type of dwelling
- Have food
- Have a vehicle
- Have a friend and/or someone who loves you
- Are able to buy a coffee or pastry each morning
and the list goes on.
He said if we have any of these things, we are richer than ___% of the world. Only after hearing this did I realize that I had everything on the list and that I had taken them for granted. I’ve complained for the past year about:
- The grocery store not being open 24 hours a day.
- Having no convenience store to get my morning coffee.
- About the cold weather
- The house being too small
- Dealing with various people at my job who annoy me and get under my skin.
- No really good restaurants around here.
and the list goes on.
If someone else had posted this list above, I would have thought them to be snobby, spoiled, or a princess. But because it’s me, I didn’t see it. But now that I do, I am ashamed. If I look at this list with a thankful spirit, then I have to acknowledge and admit that…
- I’m blessed that I could even afford to buy food at the grocery store.
- I have gourmet coffee at home so I really have no need for a convenience store.
- The weather is much warmer here than where I lived most of my life and we don’t get any snow. No more digging my car out of 4 feet of snow.
- My house is modest, cute, and serves its purpose.
- Those annoying people are an opportunity to exercise patience and understanding.
- The food may be bad here but I’m blessed with the talents to be able to cook myself. (and I can burn!!) (Disclaimer: “burn” means to cook like nobody’s business)
I thank the Lord for gently and lovingly opening my eyes to my foolishness and ungrateful spirit. I also thank Him for chastening me and not allowing me to go on in this way. Praise Jesus!!!